The day I went wedding dress hunting was the day I realized that it was not going to be as easy as I thought. There are so many things to consider – Price, Style, Size, Can I keep IT? Most of all, do I feel GORGEOUS in this dress and can I wear it all day and night? I didn’t have an heirloom dress as a generation hand down so I first looked at hiring a dress, classic style wedding dresses and shops, but nothing caught my eye. I
knew my wedding was a less formal style / modern wedding, that it was going to be 30 degrees + and that I was going to be wearing it for the day and well into the night. I then made the decision that I was going to design my own dress and find a designer who could meet my style and my budget. I can assure you that you won’t fall short trying to find a designer as we are lucky to have many talented clothing designers around so tap in and investigate. I managed to find a connection through talking to friends and when I met with my designer we just clicked and she knew exactly what I needed. It took 3 sessions (My dress was a simple design) and voila, I had my perfect wedding dress to suit me and my dream day!
A few pointers if this is the way you would like to go:
- Make sure you are clear on what you want and state your requirements clearly to your designer. Discuss ALL costs before you embark on the journey!
- Ask to see the designer’s portfolio at the start of the relationship so that you are able to see if the designer is able to handle what you want them to do and if he or she is the right designer for you.
- Make the designer aware of your wedding date and set clear deadlines. Make sure you start the design process with lots of time to spare just in case there are any unforeseen complications.
- Be clear on if the cost includes the material or if you are to supply.
- Make sure the designer is close to you, area wise, as travelling is necessary for fittings.
- Get references and all contact details and make sure you know where you stand before you enter into any agreement. With regards to payment, I would suggest only paying a deposit and completing the payment when you are handed the final product and you are 100% happy with it! This is your day and you should have what you want!
- Stay focused and clear and do your research, this should be a pleasant and enjoyable experience!
Happy Wedding Planning!