Have you already had ‘the talk’, the one that includes questions like “will you clean the toilet?” and “who gets to do the monthly shop and thus decides what we eat?”. There are more, but I think you get the gist of it. These, and other questions that may not be listed below, are important if a lifetime together is your goal.
- Will we have children, if so when, and how many?
- Whose last name will our children take – father’s, mother’s or hyphenated?
- Will one of us stay at home to raise our children?
- If we have difficulties falling pregnant how do we feel about artificial methods of conception, or adoption?
- What values from our respective family life do we want to bring into our marriage and home?
- What kind of parents do we think we will be?
- What type of birth control should we use?
- Who is going to handle our finances?
- Will we have separate or joint accounts?
- Shall we split the bills or pay them jointly?
- Are we prepared to draw up a budget and stick to it?
- Are our spending styles similar?
- How much do we plan to save a month?
- What are our long-term saving goals, and how much shall we save?
- If one of us lost our job, what would the plan be?
- Do we have emergency money? How can we save that?
- Should we each draft a will, and what will that will say?
- Does either of us have any outstanding debt or bills to pay?
- What are our future plans for buying a home?
- When do we plan to retire?
- If one of us gets a career opportunity that involves moving cities, would the other be willing to move?
- How are we going to divide the household chores?
- How do we intend spending our leisure time?
- What are our expectations about how we will spend our free time?
- Do you need alone time?
- How can we make sure that we have quality time together?
- How much time will we spend with our in-laws?
- Are we comfortable speaking about your sexual likes and dislikes?
- What are our expectations of our sex life?
- How will we make decisions together?
- Do we have problems in our relationship that we need to resolved before our wedding?
- Do we handle conflict well?
- Are we both willing to work on our communication with one another?
Happy Wedding Planning!