To be frank, if you’re still asking this question whilst leafing through wedding dress designs and wedding venues, then you could well be on your way to marrying the wrong guy. But let’s just say, for interest’s sake, that you want to do a last minute check, just for fun – go on, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Let us assume you have done all the basics – you’ve gone on dates, met his friends, he’s met yours, your parents love him and he popped the question at the right moment and he’s always attentive and makes you feel good. The following checklist simply serves as backup:
- The good times are good and definitely outweigh the bad
- He behaves as though committed, he doesn’t just talk as if he is
- He is genuinely interested in YOU (he doesn’t just talk about himself all the time)
- He makes you feel fantastic, doesn’t put you down in front of your friends or family and does not erode your self-belief by contradicting you
- You can talk about anything and everything (he doesn’t evade a certain topic of conversation)
- You can’t keep your hands off one another, and even if together for a while, you’re still into him
- You share common life goals and priorities, and values
- You feel emotionally safe with him
- He listens
- You can rely on him
- He’s happy around you, and compliments you
- Your opinion is important to him
- He makes you feel special
- There is mutual respect for one another
- You just know, deep down inside, that he is someone with whom you could spend the rest of your life
And finally, you treat him well. Because if he’s the right man for you, how you treat him says a lot about whether or not he’s the one for you.
Happy Wedding Planning!