Uplift your mood, make sure you’re energised, able to deal with issues, and have a sharp mind. Much of our modern day diet leaves us lethargic, agitated and miserable, but you can eat yourself into a better frame of mind.
There is a link between our physical health and the food that we eat. But the link between mental health and food is as vital. Science shows that some food can even change your brain chemistry. By cutting out sugar (there is a strong link between mood disorders and sugar) and eating wisely, you can feel totally great by your wedding day.
With these foods:
- Mackerel or sardines – high in Vit D (most of us are deficient), mackerel and sardines boost your serotonin levels, leaving you feeling happier
- Salmon – full of Omega-3 fatty acids (as are mackerel and sardines) this helps lift mood and improve memory, but go for wild salmon (tinned salmon is just as good)
- Sunflower and pumpkin seeds – packed with Omega-3s and other nutrients that all help to reduce depression and help you sleep
- Bananas – full of trytophan, used in the production of the happiness hormone serotonin, but also have potassium and Vit B6, both good for stress and regulating blood sugar levels
- Leafy greens – these are high in folic acid, particularly spinach, which helps reduce both depression and tiredness; they’re also full of magnesium – helps raise serotonin levels
- Dark chocolate – at least 70% cocoa – is actually good for you, in moderation, as it releases endorphins and boosts serotonin levels
- Grass fed lamb – most lamb in this country is free range, and when they’re grass fed they have higher leavels of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), a happy fat that helps fight stress hormones. Lamb is also full of heme iron, vital for a stable mood
- Cheese – in moderation – contains tryptophan, which lightens your mood, and calcium, used to manufacture melatonin, a sleep-regulating hormone
- Greek style yoghurt – must be organic or made from pasture raised cows’ milk – it is high in healthy fats and has higher levels of CLA – to fight stress
- Pomegranates – eating a pomegranate can help stabilise sugar levels
Water too is essential. If you’re tired, have a headache and are battling to remember things first sip water before deciding that it’s something else.
Happy Wedding Planning!