South African Themed Wedding Ideas
South Africa is, undoubtedly, one of the prime wedding destinations in the world. It has everything; from idyllic settings and gorgeous venues to top-class designers and talented photographers. And those who want to celebrate the Rainbow Nation in a very personal and special way might even consider making it the theme of their wedding day.
Here are some ideas for your South African-themed wedding:
- Opt for fynbos (like proteas and pincushions) and other local favourites, like the strelitzia (also known as the bird of paradise flower) or a variety of succulents, in your bridal bouquet and your décor.
- Natural materials like wood, leaves, grasses, quills, and feathers are tasteful ways of introducing an African vibe into your invitations, clothing and décor.
- Choose a game reserve, the foothills of a mountain, a sandy beach, or a dense forest for your formal photographs to make the most out of exquisite South Africa. Table Mountain, the Garden Route, the Natal Midlands, the Cape Winelands, or the beaches of the Eastern Cape are stunning options.
- Your menu is a great place to showcase all things South African. Think of potjies, braaied meat and salads, bunny chows, or old-school roasts. Pair these with modern ideas to create a really unique menu – such as creamy samp and beans with a chilli and chocolate rump; or braaied lamb chops with a blue cheese crumble. The options are endless.
- Serve biltong and droë wors with the welcoming drinks to keep guests busy while you have your photographs taken. Consider adding a guacamole or sweet chilli dip to keep things interesting.
- Instead of a served dessert, have a dessert buffet table with all sorts of local goodies. These may include fruity Fizzers, koeksisters, Fizz Pops, hot mosbolletjies slathered in butter, milk tart, and Malva pudding.
- Serve proper ‘moerkoffie’ and Ouma rusks after the meal.
- Instead of wines, put an ice bucket full of flavoured Steri Stumpies on each table. This is delicious, innovative, and the different colours lend you even more in the way of artistic license.
- For your guest favours, wrap Zoo biscuits or traditional rusks in cute bags or glass jars. Alternatively, have wire and bead goodies made for each guest (such as a picture frame, fridge magnet or clothes pin).
- Instead of bunting, drape strings of colourful African beads around your venue or over your tables.
- The South African music scene is booming, and you have so much variety from which to choose. Traditional song and dance is always a great addition, but consider including the music from some popular bands; including The Parlotones, Goldfish, Zebra and Giraffe, Freshly Ground, Prime Circle, Just Jinjer, Die Antwoord, and Locnville.
- Enjoy the ultimate honeymoon when you spend a few nights at one of the local world-class game reserves or eco-getaways.
Savour the simple splendour of South Africa when you include this magnificent land in your wedding theme. South African Themed Wedding Ideas.
Happy Wedding Planning!